Australian High Commission
Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka

Study in Australia

Australia has a reputation for academic excellence and is one of the best places in the world to live while studying. There is a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,200 institutions and over 22,000 courses to choose from. You can study at all levels of education from primary and secondary school, to vocational education and training (VET), from English language courses to higher education (including universities).

Visit Study in Australia to learn more about the education opportunities Australia has to offer, including avaliable courses and to learn about the experiences of other students.

The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) lists all Australian education providers  approved to offer courses to people studying in Australia on student visas.


Australia Awards are a whole of Australian government initiative bringing together prestigious international Scholarships and Fellowships administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade; the Department of Education; and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research. They offer the next generation of global leaders an opportunity to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia and for high-achieving Australians to do the same overseas.

Choosing an education agent

If you have decided to study in Australia, but need help with the application process, you may consider using an education agent. It is not compulsory to use an education agent. By Australian law, all Australian education institutions, including through their education agents, are required to provide you with accurate up-to-date information on the Australian education system; education and training providers in Australia and living in Australia (e.g. the cost of living, accommodation options, transport, health, etc.).

If you decide to use an education agent, it is important that you select an education agent who is qualified to assist you.

Student visas

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).

You can apply for the following types of study on this visa:

  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • school – primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.

You may be able to package your courses if you would like to study more than one course. This is known as course packaging.

For more information see: Studying in Australia.

You are advised to lodge your student visa application two months before the expected start date of your course.

Please note, the Australian High Commission in Colombo cannot give applicants advice on educational institutions or courses of study in Australia.

Living in Australia

For information on living in Australia see: Live in Australia and Coming to Australia (video avaliable with Sinhalese or Tamil subtitles).

Consumer Protection

Australia has one of the most effective international student protection arrangements in the world.

The Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act outlines consumer protection provisions for international students enrolled in courses in Australia.  This includes the Tuition Protection Service which will help you find a suitable alternative course or pay a refund in the unlikely event that your education provider is unable to deliver the course you have enrolled in.

The ESOS framework also protects the interests of international students by setting out standards, roles and responsibilities for education institutions that teach overseas students.  Australia also has an Overseas Students Ombudsman to investigate any external complaints from international students attending private education institutions.